Monday, July 30, 2012

Coffee Break. Now with extra exclamation points!

Jon took the kids to the zoo today.  We got a membership on our last visit, since it turns out that if you visit twice a year, it's cheaper that way.  I said I would stay home and vacuum.  And I will, I will!  But first I had to make a latte!  And check my email! And read everyone's posts on facebook!  And put on some music! 

When the kids first got home, they couldn't stop themselves from pushing buttons.  I don't mean that they were purposefully annoying us--although that's somewhat true as well--I mean that the coffeepot, the dishwasher, the Kitchenaid, the lights, remote controls, EVERYTHING with a button, a  switch, or on/off button had to be repeatedly tested.  For example, it took about 10 days before I was successfully able to run the dishwasher, because they couldn't stop themselves from pressing the buttons again while it was running, which would cause it to cycle off.  And after Sasha's first encounter with the vacuum cleaner (it makes noise!  it has attachments that can be swung at one's sister! it can grab shoelaces!), we hid it, and I only bring it out when they're gone.  As for the latte maker, they keep asking what it is, and I keep saying, "Nothing."  Or, "It's broken."  Or, my personal favorite, "I don't know.  Hey! Who wants some yogurt?"  And since the first morning home, Inesa was trying to help me make regular coffee, and dropped the pot, which shattered, we've not been making coffee at home at all.  Today is the first time I had the presence of mind to actually USE the latte maker while they were out.  I am happy.  And peppy!  Turns out when you go from having several cups of coffee daily to having it a few times a week, the whole "caffeine is a drug" thing becomes more obvious.  But hey!  I will vacuum faster! 

Let's add a few photos, shall we? These will be repeats from facebook, but I know not everyone is addicted to is on there. On my birthday last week, we took a hike on the Salmon River Trail, then drove up to Timberline and walked uphill to play in the snow. And then we had dinner in Government Camp with our friends who live up on the mountain. It was a great day. I am so glad they enjoy the outdoors. And while not perfect, their listening was good enough that we feel comfortable taking them out again. As I told Jon, I've taken middle schoolers hiking who struggled more with following directions and being responsible.

I can't even tell you how happy this photo makes me.

They both like to ride on Daddy's shoulders.

After dipping our toes in the river.

He likes to climb.

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday, Wendy! Glad you had such a fun hike. Loved your posts. You are such a great writer - I enjoy reading and I admire people who can run a blog. I just wish I could sometimes. I love my lattes too - I can relate to those feelings of deprivation and victory. As you continue to nurture them, it helps to nurture yourself once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete